Screen Capture / Lecture Capture tools
Lecture/screen capture refers to any technology that allows instructors to record a lecture and make it available digitally by placing on the Web for students to watch online before or after class. Screen capture tools can be useful if you are teaching online or if you are interested in flipped teaching. Use cases include:
- Flipped classrooms
- Course replay
- Distance learning, fully online and blended (hybrid)
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
Screen capture technologies can be divided into three categories:
- Do-it-yourself tools. These tools are easy to use. You need at least a microphone, if not a webcam, to use these tools. You also need to download and install them on your computer.
- Enterprise tools. These tools can be used to record a lecture in a classroom environment. These tools can be called as in-class lecture capture. They can provide a useful way for you to record your lectures as you deliver them.
- Recording studies. A room/place that is designed for instructors to come to this recoding studio and record their lectures or presentations. Usually these studios features quality lighting, studio-quality audio, and HD video.
TechSmith Relay allows faculty to record lectures from their personal computers. With this tool, it is possible to record videos, meetings, lectures, presentations, and more.
iSpring allows teachers to record audio directly into their PowerPoint and convert the presentation to Flash or HTML5 so that it can be uploaded to your website, blog or Learning Management System.
Screencast-o-matic is a cloud-based or downloadable software that you can use to record your lectures or screencasts.
Jing is a free application that allows you to take screenshots of your computer screen. Jing also allows you to record up to 5 minutes of screencast.
Captivate from Adobe is authoring software for creation of interactive eLearning content.
Enterprise Lecture Capture Technologies
With the Echo360 software, instructors can record classroom lectures, meetings, and speeches. Echo360 can help instructors record lectures on a personal computer . You may also capture a whole class session or a class presentation using the Echo360 system.
NCast provides various lecture capture and presentation recording tools.
Crestron Capture HD offer technologies for a high-quality meeting and lecture capture solutions.
Recording studios are usually custom solutions. Usually these studios need professional camera(s), microphone(s), audio/video editing software, computer(s) and a lightning system.